Friday, November 29, 2013

Writing: Paper or Plastic?


As old-fashioned as it seems, some writers prefer the simple comfort of writing with pen and paper and inspiration seems to strike me best this way. (You have to be a fast writer though.) It also gives me an excuse to purchase some really pretty journals -- I like the freedom of keeping the world I'm working on in a journal I can carry around like a grimoire. (It's also wise to have a water and fire proof document safe.) And there's always pressure when I'm hunched in front of a computer screen, hoping no technical oddities will occur because of faulty software or hardware or because Mercury's in retrograde or whatever.
I write the first draft by hand within a few months, then complete the final drafts on the computer for the expediency and clarity of revisions. The world of my book, its rules and characters and locations, may be contained within a physical journal, but the information is also on computer file. I definitely appreciate the convenience of technology, but, as far as dreaming up the films inside my head, being away from it, surrounded by books, is how I prefer to work.
(Illustration: Adelaide Claxton)

1 comment:

  1. As old-fashioned as it seems, some writers prefer the simple comfort of writing with pen and paper and inspiration seems to strike me best this way. cheap paper writing service

    ReplyDelete